Sixth form students have many enrichment opportunities, one of which is the Open University’s Young Applicants in Schools Scheme (YASS).
Pupils can apply to independently study a 10 credit course with the OU in year 12; these courses are applied for at the beginning of year 12 and run throughout the year; they are free to students and funded by the school.
Applications are open to students who study and reside in Wales. The adjacent Powerpoint link covers some of the benefits and advantages of studying a YASS course. If you are interested and would like to know more, please speak to Mrs Williams in the Sixth Form office.
MAT (More Able and Talented) Students
- attend the student conference in March and the Oxbridge roadshow in Monmouth
- attend Oxford University Open Days in June (residential)
- are encouraged to apply for UNIQ places
- receive visit from Oxbridge link schools’ liaison officers and past Oxbridge pupils
- receive mock interviews with staff/Oxbridge Applications in addition to school support
- are helped to secure work experience at placements such as UHW
- visit Cardiff University’s Heath Park Campus and work with Cardiff University’s undergraduates as part of the Meducation programme
- are helped to secure voluntary posts in a variety of healthcare settings
- are advised to use training companies for BMAT/UKCAT and interview skills, e.g. Ace Medicine