Free school meals
If you are in receipt of one of the following benefits, you can claim free school meals for your child:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and their annual income does not exceed £16,190. (HM Revenue and Customs are responsible for assessing the level of annual income.)
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
Applying for free school meals
You need to complete a free school meals application form when you first start to receive benefits. Monmouthshire County Council will then re-assess your claim each year and send you a letter to confirm if you are entitled. To obtain a paper application form for free school meals please ask for the School and Student Access Unit on 01633 644644
If you are entitled to free school meals you will receive a letter confirming the date from which you will be able to claim free school meals and we will be notified directly that your child can have a school meal free of charge
If you have a foster child who is looked after by Monmouthshire Social Services then a free meal will be provided. Monmouthshire Social Services will notify us so you do not need to complete an application form.
We provide our own exciting and healthy menus. If you think you are eligible for free school meals but your child does not want to have them please do still apply as we will receive more funding thanks to your efforts!
Year 7 clothing grants
If your child is eligible for Free School Meals you will be entitled to a uniform grant of £100.00 subject to annual review.
Please note that a Year 7 Clothing Grant is for children going into Year 7 only, it can not be transferred to any other school years.